Welcome to our first of many Tech Thursday Trainings! We’re doing a mini-series on the Fail-Proof Beginner’s Guide to Starting a Blog. Today, I’m super excited to be teaching you about picking the perfect domain name for your blog or website!
My promise to you is by the end of this training series, you’ll have a working blog you can be proud of! (I hope you’ll hold me to it!)
One thing you’ll want to have is my “Must-Have” Blogging Terms Cheat Sheet. It will save you a ton of time. . . and massive headaches with all the new techy stuff you’ll be learning soon. #trustme
(Keep reading, I’ll talk more about it later on.)
One of the most important things you need to have an online business is a blog or website. It is essentially the storefront or home of your business. Without it, you’re missing an integral part of this whole online business gig. Plus Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, or any of your favorite social media platforms could shut down or shut you out and what would you be left with?
(I talk more about why your business needs a blog or a website in my P31 TV Episode #7.)
I know many of you are a bit “deer-in-headlights,” when it comes to techie stuff. While I’m not an expert, I know enough to be dangerous. I’ve built all of my websites on my own with very little help. So, I want to teach you how the do the same thing, but without the huge learning curve I had.
Speaking of the learning curve, the moment you start down this path of blogging, there will be a TON of new terminology that may (or may not) confuse you. I want to make it easy for you to grow your blog and build your business, so I’ve created a “Must-Have” Blogging Terms Cheat Sheet in my Blogging & Business resource library.
(You can grab it at the end of this blog article.)
Even if you’re a complete novice to starting a blog and building a business online, this series of trainings are sure to get you going off on the right foot!
Today, we’re going to dive right into picking the PERFECT domain name for your blog. More than likely you already have something in mind, so this video will just help you pull the trigger and make the purchase!
Tech Tools You’ll Need
- Why your business NEEDS a blog – P31 TV Episode #7
- Host Duplex – my All-Time FAVORITE web hosting provider.
- US Trademark Office – research, just to be sure you aren’t infringing upon anyone’s trademark. #trustme
- My “Must-Have” Blogging Terms Cheat Sheet in my Blogging & Business resource library.
Now Keep Reading!
HERE’S A QUICK PREVIEW OF TODAY’S EPISODE:
- It’s important to brainstorm ideas for the perfect domain name. Keep in mind you want your domain name to be:
- Easy to remember
- Easy to spell
- Easy to relate to your audience or niche
- Research. Research. Research. Once you’ve decided on a perfect domain name, you want to research the name to be sure it’s not being used by anyone…especially someone who has the name (or a similar one) trademarked. You can get into BIG legal trouble if you do this. So err on the side of caution and RESEARCH! (Please, ok?)
- Purchasing your perfect domain name + hosting – It’s generally a good idea to buy your domain name from the same place who is hosting your domain. In the video, I go into the differences between domain purchasing and domain hosting. Here are a few things to consider when purchasing your domain name and hosting:
- Customer service
- Site protection
- All-in-one packaging
My hands-down favorite hosting company is Host Duplex. Without going into tons of details why, just know they meet all of the above criteria and they are very personable and easy to work with! I love, love, LOVE HostDuplex!
Grab your journal and pen. . . Get ready to learn how you can pick your perfect domain name!
Tune-in to Today’s Tech Thursday Training!
Download Your FREE Cheat Sheet
To help you get started with building your blog, I created a cheat sheet of the most frequently used blogging terms. I remember when I first started out – blogging was like learning a new language. So I’m making it easier for you! I want you to make this your go-to resource, as you’re building your blog!
- Download the Cheat Sheet. You’ll get the cheat sheet, access to my Business Vault, plus advanced notice of all the exciting happenings around here!
- Print. Any paper will do. I recommend either laminating it or using a sheet protector. (Yes, you’re gonna get a lot of frequent flyer miles with this!)
- Keep it in your Personal Learning Library to have it easily accessible, as you’re building your blog!
Grab Your Own Copy of My “Must-Have” Blogging Terms Cheat Sheet
(Don’t get caught blogging without it!)Pull the trigger! It's time to pick you PERFECT domain name and get your blog up and running!Click To Tweet
By now you may be ready to pull the trigger! If you have a case of “flamencos-in-my-tummy” about purchasing your domain name, take that as a sign it’s time to get serious about your business. It’s now or never!
Be sure to check out the next episode in this series! I’ll show you how to install WordPress in 7 minutes or less! Yep! It’s that easy!
Links And References Mentioned In This Episode:
US Trademark Office – You’ll want to spend some time researching here for the domain name you have in mind (or similar ones)