It’s Day 7 of our Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study!
Today, we’re going to dig into Proverbs 31:16:
She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
In yesterday’s lesson, we learned being a Proverbs 31 Woman is about being well organized and prepared is not only a blessing to your family, but to those who come alongside us to help us, in our lives. You can get caught up with yesterday’s lesson here!
In today’s video lesson we will look at resourcefulness and putting our skills to work for the good of our family. We’ll begin to see a recurring theme of being a willing, eager worker, as a Proverbs 31 Woman.
Be sure to grab your copy of my beautifully designed Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Companion Workbook!
Quick Links For Information In This Post
I’d like to invite you to pray with us! Today’s lesson pairs perfectly with our Proverbs 31 Woman Prayer & Affirmation Challenge. Join us in touching the heart of God with our prayers!
By the way, if you haven’t registered for the Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study, be sure to do so NOW!
It comes with, Exclusive Study Video Lessons + Daily Study Blog Posts + Bible Reading Plan + Daily encouragement emails! Best of all it’s completely FREE!! You can register below. . .
Let’s Start Your Journey,
As A Proverbs 31 Woman NOW!
If you are new to Bible studies or are looking for ways to spruce up your study library, I have a list of my favorite Bible study resources. Some of them I’ve been using for over 20 years! You can shop my list here or check out a few of the items below.
I invite you to take a look!
Let me ask you this. . .
They say it takes skills to pay the bills, right?
While I do believe our husbands are to be the providers of our homes, I think it’s also important for a woman to have skills she can use to bless her family financially and add her family’s household budget for the “extras.”
Tune into today’s Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study video lesson, as we take a deep dive into this woman’s skills and how she used them to benefit her household!
Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Video Lesson
Watch on YouTube (And Subscribe!)
Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Notes
- It is important to be intentional with your decision-making and use of your skills for your family. There’s no room for hasty decisions. Be purposeful!
- Put your skills to work for the good of your husband and family.
- The choice of a vineyard was purposeful and likely had generational benefits for her family, but it also required hard work!
- I’m also sharing a few of my favorite Bible Study Resources!
- My favorite Bible.
- Highlighters & Pens especially for Bible Studies (you’ll love these!)
- Strong’s Concordance (never study your Bible without this!)
- Halley’s Bible Handbook
- You can take a look at the whole list here!
- Here is a video explaining how I use some of these resources and why they are my favorites!
Now Keep Reading About The Virtuous Woman!
Are You Resourceful With Your Skills?
In this verse, we see a recurring theme about her work ethic and being resourceful.
The word CONSIDERS is the Hebrew word “zamam.”
Here’s what it means:
- have inner thoughts
- debating within oneself
- purpose in one’s heart
- propose to oneself
In other words, the Proverbs 31 Woman was purposeful in her decision making about buying this land. She had a sort of deliberation going on within herself, as she considered this field to prior to buying.
Notice it did not say ‘she saw the land and hurried to go buy it.’
This woman was thoughtful in her decision making. She wanted to see if the land would suit her needs.
Want to learn how to “transliterate” the Hebrew And Greek words from the Bible, so you can get a deeper understanding of what God is saying in His Word? Here are the resources I use for my Bible Word Studies
I invite you to take a look!
During my days as an engineer and real estate agent, one of the things we would do before either buying land and especially before building on land, was to see if the land “perks.” This basically meant being sure the land was suitable to build upon, mainly for the purposes of a handling a sewage system of some kind.
It was one of several tests we would conduct on the soil and land to be sure it was suitable for building upon.
It was obvious this woman had an intentional purpose for the land, otherwise she would not have considered it (inspect, debate within herself, purpose in her heart, propose to herself).
She needed it for a vineyard, so she took the time needed to determine if this land would suit her ultimate goal. I appreciate the Proverbs 31 Woman for not being hasty, in her decision-making! She gives us a model to follow when making decisions that will have a legacy kind of impact on our families!
We also notice the Proverbs 31 Woman puts her skills to work, for the good of her husband and family …
Not just herself.
So, after purchasing the land, she plants a vineyard. There are a few points of significance here.
The first one being, she was not sitting idle waiting for things to “magically” happen. She wasn’t waiting for something to just fall into her lap. She went out there and she made them happen by planting a vineyard.
We see this recurring theme of the Proverbs 31 Woman being willing, eager worker, in this case, as a way to provide more resources for her family.
(I am not saying she is taking on the role of provider. That’s definitely her husband’s job. She is, however, coming alongside her husband, using her skillset and wisdom, to help increase the resources of her household. She is bringing “good” to her husband and family.)
Think for a moment. . .
What is your skillset? How could you put to work for the good and blessing of your family?
The other point of significance I want to point out to you is the Proverbs 31 Woman’s choice of agriculture.
She could’ve have chosen anything to plant in that land, but she chose a vineyard!
We know vineyards produce grapes, which are ultimately used for wine in everyday life, celebrations and worship. It was one of the most valued produce in the Israelite culture, as it has was a staple, in their lives, and had longevity, for generations.
Here’s what you may not know – owning a vineyard was TEDIOUS work! (And oftentimes tending to one was viewed as a menial chore.)
As I researched vineyards, here’s what I discovered:
- The vines had to be trained to grow a certain way, as not to become tangled.
- The first few years, they did not harvest the grapes for household use, as they wanted to be sure the vines were well tended to, during the formative years.
- During this time there was constant pruning, resoiling, clearing of weeds, and training of vines (also known as husbandry).
The Proverbs 31 woman knew all of this prior to deciding to plant a vineyard, yet she did it anyways.
Perhaps she had the understanding of the long terms needs of her family and community for wine, in their everyday lives, celebrations, and worship.
Perhaps she had the foresight to know the value of the land would increase, by having a vineyard planted there.
Perhaps she had the vision of being able to provide an inheritance for her children’s children through the vineyard.
Whatever her reasoning, we can see she gave much thought to this and was still willing to plant a vineyard, knowing full well the hard work it would entail to maintain and produce grapes, to be used for wine and other things — and a blessing to her family!
Once again, we see the willingness and eagerness of this woman to be a worker for her family’s legacy.[clickToTweet tweet=”Being purposeful, resourceful, and intentional with your skills is a Proverbs 31 Woman trait! #p31″ quote=”Being purposeful, resourceful, and intentional with your skills is a Proverbs 31 Woman trait! #p31″]
Want To Learn More About The Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series?
I pray today’s lesson blessed you BIG! We have so much more to glean and learn in our Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study together!
Be sure to check out the next lesson in The Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series! We’re going to talk about understanding the worth and value of your work.
Here are my other posts in the Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series:
- Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The Proverbs 31 Woman
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Companion Workbook
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 1 (Virtuous Woman Character Traits)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 2 (What Does It Mean To Be A “Virtuous” Woman?)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 3 (Being a Proverbs 31 Wife – Are You His “GOOD Thing”?)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 4 (A Willing, Eager Worker)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 5 (How Far Will You Go For Your Loved Ones?
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 6 (Being Mrs. Organized)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 7 (Are You Resourceful With Your Skills?)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 8 (Knowing The Worth Of Your Work)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 9 (Creating A Legacy of Philanthropy)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 10 (Being Prepared For The Seasons Of Life)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 11 (Your Impact On Your Man)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 12 (Are You A Proverbs 31 Business Woman?)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 13 (Speak Wisdom, Kindness, And Life)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 14 (Let Your Husband And Children Praise You!)
- Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Series – Day 15 (The One Thing That Matters Most – Eternity)
In the meantime. . .
I take a counter-culture, deep-dive approach into the characteristics about this woman and how we can apply them to our lives. It’s not a beat-you-over-the-head-with-an-impossible-standard type of Bible study, either.
It’s about liberating you, to know the truth of God’s Word, so you can live in the fullness of your calling and purpose.
It’s truly a deep-dive + life application Bible study that will transform, comfort, and inspire you, as you walk and live as a Woman of Valor!
Here’s what I’ve created just for you:
Exclusive Study Video Lessons
Daily Study Blog Posts
Bible Reading Plan
Daily Encouragement Emails
The best part is. . . it’s Completely FREE!
Let’s Start Your Journey,
As A Proverbs 31 Woman NOW!
Today, we learned about resourcefulness and putting our skills to work for the good of our family. How can you use your skills and the things you do well to benefit your family, friends, community, etc.? I’d love to hear your thoughts! You can chime in, by clicking here!
Or you can head over to Facebook and share your thoughts with me there!